Bukit Timah is the name of a hill as well as urban planning area in Central Singapore. The name Bukit Timah means "tin hill" in Malay. The name has been in use since the 19th century. It first appeared in the Franklin and Jackson map of 1828.
There is a possibility that Bukit Timah was misnamed. According to historians, the original name of the hill was Bukit Temak, in reference to the temak trees. It was somehow corrupted to Bukit Timah, although no tin was found there.
Bukit Timah Road is the longest road in Singapore, not counting the expressways. It is 25 km in length and was laid out as far back as 1845. During that time, the road ran through heavily forested area where tigers still roamed. It was reported in 1860 that 200 people working in the gambier and pepper plantations bordering the forest in Bukit Timah were killed by tigers.
Schools in Bukit Timah include Anglo-Chinese School, Hwa Chong Institution, Methodist Girls' School, Nanyang Primary School, Nanyang Girls' High School, National Junior College, Pei Hwa Presbyterian Primary School, Raffles Girls' Primary School, Saint Joseph's Institution, and Singapore Chinese Girls' School.
Places of worship in Bukit Timah include Al-Huda Mosque, Bee Low See Temple, Bukit Timah Evangelical Free Church, Catholic Church of St Ignatius, Covenant Evangelical Free Church, Glory Presbyterian Church, Poh Tai Kok Temple, St John Chapel and St James Church. Retail premises include Bukit Timah Plaza, Bukit Timah Shopping Centre, Beauty World Centre